Podcasts vs Audiobooks – Stop Listening to Podcasts
Today’s post will be a short one while I share some thoughts on the difference between listening to Audiobooks or Podcasts and which one is best for me. Plus I share my plans moving forward on why I will be listening to fewer podcasts and upgrading my account at Audible (links to Audible are affiliate links).
But first a quick car story…
I unfortunately recently had to buy a new vehicle after my “EntrepreneurMobile” as Ian from the TropicalMBA likes to call them (fully depreciated vehicles people choose to drive to allow them to reinvest more money into their business).
How does this relate to this post?…
When I was shopping for a new vehicle(spending as little time as possible doing so) the massive number of features for audio systems was crazy… (CD, Satellite, Radio, Sync, USB, DVD and the different types of speakers) for me all I need in my car is the ability to listen to whatever podcast or audiobook is on my phone.
AudioBooks vs Podcasts
Thinking about this question I started asking myself with the hundreds (maybe thousands = 10 per week for 3 years = 1560 podcasts) how many podcasts really improved my business?
Little “real” Impact of Podcasts on my Business:
- When was the last time a podcast changed the direction of my business for the better? I can only think of a couple that really impacted the direction of my business 2/1560!
- When did I learn something in a podcast that helped my business? Lots of times great information is shared but unless I am in a position to put it into practise right away I won’t retain the knowledge.
The “soft” Benefit of Podcasts:
- Mind Set – Listening to people talking business via podcasts has been a great way for me to continue to hear people talk with an entrepreneurial mindset vs my “real world” environment with limited entrepreneurial talk. This was huge at the start but now that I participate in a MasterMind and other Skype discussions it is not as important.
- Motivation – Many times listening to people having success building their online business gives me a motivational kick.
Podscasts can’t compete to AudioBooks I have listened to where I have made substantial directional changes in my business based on something I learned. Podcasts just don’t measure up in terms of hrs spent listening and improvements in my business.
For any geeks out there…
($$ associated with business improvements due to podcasts)/(hrs of listening to podcasts) < ($$ associated with business improvements due to audiobooks)/(hrs of listening to audiobooks)
I can credit several audiobooks with significant mind shifts (another post on this later) that definitely significantly improved my business.[wpsharely id=”1389″]
The most influential business book I have ever listened to was the E-Myth Revisited!
The book came to me at the right time when I was starting out and being an already process drive person it was a book that felt like was written for me. The systematization that he drives home is something I am still fanatical about!
Download 1 Book for Free From Audible – Start Here[/wpsharely]
Based on this little evaluation my listening plan going forward is to…
- Increase my Audible subscription (currently one free audiobook)
- Cut down the number of podcasts I listen to (limit to 3/week)
- Only listen to them for their best purpose (motivational kick & mindset)
- Listen to more audiobooks (business, biographies and history) (2+/month)
What about you…do you listen to too many podcasts?