Oct Income and Traffic Report
October was a busy month for me with holiday travel, business travel and personal travel I was on the road for ½ the month. For some people this is normal but for me it definitely is not! Although I would have preferred to be at home more I did get a nice little break. While in Chicago for a wedding I took the first full 48hr break from email that I think I ever have.
Overall with my VA’s working hard and with the work I was able to complete on the road work I was able to continue pushing my business forward.
Of course Google had another update Penguin 2.1 early in October and it significantly affected one (and thankfully only one) of my sites.
Below is a summary of what has happened in my online business in October and some learning’s that will hopefully be beneficial to you and your business…
All the Sites I have Created Survived Penguin 2.1 – As I talked about above one of my sites (my purchased website) got hit by penguin 2.1. However, the positive I am taking away from this is that all the sites I have built and promoted using my promotion/SEO strategy have survived. You can read all about my purchased website here.
Simply put my promotion strategy involves the following in varying quantities…
- Blog Commenting
- Guest Posting
- YouTube and slide show sharing websites
- Leveraging Relevant Expired Domains
Done for You Private Blog Network Success – After the success of the Ultimate Expired Domain Guide people were asking for help finding and developing expired domains.
It was because of these requests that I created a unique service that is a complete Done For You Private Blog Network that only you have access to…
- Find 5 expired domains that are relevant to your niche, meet my metrics and pass my 12 point pre-purchase checklist
- Register the domains on a couple different registrars on different days
- Set up the sites at 5 completely different reputable hosting companies using my standard operating document – Good looking sites that will pass a manual review
- Create and add original quality articles (NO SPUN GARBAGE!) with rich media embedded – 5 average articles
- Build links naturally back to your site(s)
- Manage the sites creating 1 new article per network per month! along with updating theme, plugins and security.
The service is still being built out and is open in November to a limited number of people at a discounted rate – currently 10/20 spots are left.
Limited spots in November and at a discounted rate
After taking an initial group through a first round of Beta last month I am happy to report that all are happy.
No customers have cancelled and I have new orders from returning customers equal to 40% of the first groups orders! Seeing my customers vote with their wallets has been very satisfying!
There are always challenges and in October I had a few…
Limited Time to Grow Base Business – With the launch of my service and the amount of travel I was doing I put in almost 0 hours into my base business. Although the majority of my network is passive need to be continuisly building to reach my goal and it has now been a number of months since I launched a new site (not counting purchased site).
Non-Linear Cost Growth – I expected this but as I bring on more people the cost of each task getting completed does not go down…it goes up. Inefficiencies increase and the cost of management goes up. This contradicts popular belief that the higher the quantity of one task you need to get completed the cheaper it becomes…however in reality that is not the way it works online when there are no up-front investments in machines/factories/equipment.
When the fixed cost portion of a task (no equipment required) is near zero the per task cost goes up NOT down the more tasks you complete.
Blog Posts on AuthortityWebsiteIncome.com
In October I wrote 3 posts…
- 5 Productivity Tips While Travelling (written while traveling)
- How I Manage my VA’s and Business
- This is one of my favourite posts and I thought probably the most helpful but it didn’t really resonate as much as I hoped.
- September Income Report
Authority Website (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden) Stats for October
This website(AuthorityWebsiteIncome) was first started to document the creation of one website and has now grown to document my entire online business. But this section will remain showcasing the success (if everything continues) of the site.
Income = $2,064.62
- CPA #1 (loan consolidation) = $126
- CPA #2 (new loans and loan consolidation) = $1,866.62
- CPA #3 (credit check) = $0
- CPA #4 (debt monitoring) = $0
- CPA #4 (loan consolidation) = $72
Costs = 152.13
The site was mostly on autopilot with some blog commenting, article posting and carnival submission occurring without my involvement.
All my team members are hired through ODesk
- VA #1 – Content Publisher = $4.40 @ (posting/scheduling of created articles per my content calendar)
- VA # 2 – Backlink/General = $11.25 (blog carnival submission, Friday post creation)
- VA #3 – Website Manager = $0 (occupied in other projects)
- VA #4 – Social Media Manager = $0 (not going to use on this project)
- VA #5 – Blog Commenting/Outreach – $36.53 (native English commenting)
- Content Creation = $0 (0 articles created)
- Hosting = $80/month @ WPEngine (can host 10 sites)
- LeadPages = $0 one time fee already paid
- AWeber = $19.95 (for the size of list my student loan site has)
Running Net Income/Loss
Another month right around the $2k which is a great place to be!
September net income = $1,912.49
Traffic =10,262 Unique Visitors
Another month of slight traffic decline ~10%. Hopefully the bottom of the expected traffic dip will occur in November with December and January being strong months!
Email Opt Ins – 53% & 43% Conversion on Landing Page
My conversion rate on my email opt in pages continues to be strong! Both landing pages shown below were created quickly with Lead Pages.
It is very easy to generate similar landing pages with LeadPages easily.[wpsharely id=”1030″]
Maybe not surprisingly to many this landing page even though it is less relevant generates 23% more conversions than the other landing page!
I use majestic SEO (free) to track my link profile and help estimate how my link building efforts are being viewed by Google.
- Referring Domains = 458 (-95)
- Backlinks = 14,611 (-6,322)
- Citation Flow 32 (+1)
- Trust Flow 19 (-2)
Looks like a slight drop in links…I don’t like seeing my Citation Flow and Trust Flow being that far away from each other…it means it is time to attract some strong .edu links.
Last Month’s Goals
- 2 Epic/Resource Posts with Manual Outreach & generate natural .edu/.gov links (FAIL 0)
- Continue with outsourced guest posting (3 guest posts) (FAIL 0)
- End social media again – not for me right now (Success)
- Improve monetization at purchased site (FAIL)
- With steady decline in traffic due to time of year target $2.5k combined income (FAIL)
Next Month’s Goals
- 2 Epic/Resource Posts with Manual Outreach & generate natural .edu/.gov links
- Continue with blog commenting
- $2k net profit from the site
2013 Website Goal Progress: (66% of the way there!)
My website case study (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden) will earn more per month than Pat Flynn’s case study site SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com for at least 3 months of the year – 2/3 of the way there!
- January (-$2,796.18)
- $452.13 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $3248.31 for SecurityGuardHQ.com – Report
- February (-$1,675.35)
- $1126.55 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,801.90 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- March (-$2,076.94)
- 759.63 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,836.57 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- April (-$1,581.86)
- $1,127.1 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,708.96 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- May (-$367.55)
- $2,341.41 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,610.62 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- June (+1,622.01)
- $3,114.90 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $1,492.89 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- July (-1,013.61)
- $1,540 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,553.61 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- Aug ($-12.10 – SO CLOSE!)
- $2,383.41 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,395.51 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- $2,288.71 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $1,949.57 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- Oct(to be determined)
- $1,912.49 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $?? for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
Me vs. Pat Case Study Site
My Overall Online Income Goal Progress
As discussed in my long post about my online income history and my overall business strategy post here my goal is to be making $15k/month reliably by my 35th birthday and move my family back to our hometown to raise our kids(currently only one kid) there (if we choose to).
I am going to add a section to my monthly reports showing my overall online income and progress towards $15k/month.
This month with some strong continued niche sites and my new service I am still ahead of plan!
This Month:[wpsharely id=”1032″]
- Actual = $7,846 net income
- Planned = $3,575 net income
I am hopeful that the 7.5k/month income is my new standard and I can grow from there.