November Income and Traffic Report
November was a head down nose to the grindstone kind of month for me and my online business. My team has been busy building my sites and client sites for the done for you private blog network service. I was also deep diving into my standard operating documents to tweak my processes and resolve some problems.
No earth shattering revelations in November just more feedback that working my *** off on the hard/important work is the only reliable strategy for online success. Plus one of the best successes was hitting a groove with my work/work/life balance.
Below is a summary of what has happened in my online business in November and some learning’s that will hopefully be beneficial to you and your business…
Work Life Balance – For a month all about doing the hard work it seems like a weird success but for all the work I put in almost none of it was while my little guy was awake.
Building an online business after the little guy falls asleep at night and during nap time on weekends seriously limits the number of projects I can take on but allows me to spend lots of time with him and my wife.
For other parents out there what schedule seems to work best for you? Early morning work?Late night work?
Guest Posts Systematized – It has been a long and hard struggle to build a system which runs with minimal involvement that can generate quality guest posts. These are quality articles being published on quality niche specific blogs. It took a combination of the right person (native English speaking outreach VA, content manager and quality article writers) plus a few systems (comment & outreach, content management and article writing SOP) all bolted together to work. This system is highly dependent on 1 person so if she were to leave it would take some time to restart.
Done for You Private Blog Network Success – Initial results from group 2 are promising with over ½ seeing a noticeable increase in their rankings already.
There are always challenges and in November I had a few…
Time to Grow Base Business – With the ongoing support and growth of my service I have had little time to invest in my base business. Luckily all my sites run on almost autopilot or I can systematize the rest. But not getting involved to trigger some higher level promotion means they are slowing going down in traffic.
CPA Variance – With advertising networks the number of small transactions(clicks) means statistical variance is not a big deal for higher traffic sites. More traffic typically equals more money in a proportional amount. However, for my student loan site only a handful of conversions make up the bulk of my income for the site each month. Even though all other numbers remain equal the changes in a couple conversion numbers results in large income swings. The problem with this is it takes longer to spot trends and statistically significant changes in the quality of the traffic to the site.
Unable to Recover from Penguin for Purchased Website (so far) – As I talked about a couple weeks ago I purchased a site that was making $0 money, made a number of conversion changes and started generating $1k/month from it then got hit by penguin. So far I have been unable to recover from it or put in the work needed to help it recover.
Blog Posts on AuthortityWebsiteIncome.com
In October I wrote 5 posts…
- How to Purchase a Website
- From $10k success to failure in 30 days!
- October Income Report
- How to Get More Social Shares
- Case study results for using WPSharely
- 7 Ways to Make an Ass of Yourself Online
- Top 10 Black Friday Hosting Deals
Authority Website (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden) Stats for November
AuthorityWebsiteIncome was started to document the creation of one website and has now grown to document my entire online business. But this section will remain showcasing the success (if everything continues) of the site.
It was a noticeable drop in earnings this month for the site, however like I mentioned above the number of leads initiated remained unchanged from the previous months so I don’t want to worry too much. The difference from what I made this month to last month is almost exclusively due to the size of the loans that were generated from the site not the number of loans. I have very little control over this so I am hesitant to make any drastic changes.
Income = $1,338.43
- CPA #1 (loan consolidation) = $81.5
- CPA #2 (loan and loan consolidation) = $1,132.10
- CPA #4 (loan consolidation) = $24
Costs = 138.22
The site was mostly on autopilot with some blog commenting, guest posting and carnival submission occurring without my involvement.
All my team members are hired through ODesk
- VA #1 – Content Publisher = 0hrs (posting/scheduling of created articles per my content calendar)
- VA # 2 – Backlink/General = $10.55 (blog carnival submission, Friday post creation)
- VA #3 – Website Manager = $0 (occupied in other projects)
- VA #4 – Social Media Manager = $0 (not going to use on this project)
- VA #5 – Blog Commenting/Outreach/Guest Post – $27.72 (native English commenting)
- Content Creation = $0 (0 articles created)
- Hosting = $80/month @ WPEngine (can host 10 sites)
- LeadPages = $0 one time fee already paid
- AWeber = $19.95 (for the size of list my student loan site has)
Running Net Income/Loss
Unfortunately this month size a drop in income for the 3rd straight month. If I am going to maintain/grow this site I need to begin investing my time in it again.
November net income = $1,200.21
3rd Month of Income Drop
Traffic =8,034 Unique Visitors
Steady traffic this month. I was hopeful the dip would stop in November and turn around but that looks like it won’t be the case!
Email Opt Ins – 50% Conversion on Landing Page Continues
Both landing pages were created quickly with Lead Pages.
- Consolidation list = 644 subscribed (+62)
- Private loan list = 754 subscribed (+49)
I use majestic SEO (free) to track my link profile and help estimate how my link building efforts are being viewed by Google.
- Referring Domains = 416(-42)
- Backlinks = 12,574 (-2,037)
- Citation Flow 32(-)
- Trust Flow 19 (-)
Looks like a slight drop in links…I don’t like seeing my Citation Flow and Trust Flow being that far away from each other…it means it is time to attract some strong .edu links.(like I said last month)
Last Month’s Goals
- 2 Epic/Resource Posts with Manual Outreach & generate natural .edu/.gov links (fail)
- Continue with blog commenting (success)
- $2k net profit from the site (fail)
Next Month’s Goals
- 2 Epic/Resource Posts with Manual Outreach & generate natural .edu/.gov links
- Continue with blog commenting/guest posting (4 guest posts)
- $2k net profit from the site
2013 Website Goal Progress: (66% of the way there!)
My website case study (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden) will earn more per month than Pat Flynn’s case study site SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com for at least 3 months of the year – 2/3 of the way there!
- January (-$2,796.18)
- $452.13 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $3248.31 for SecurityGuardHQ.com – Report
- February (-$1,675.35)
- $1126.55 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,801.90 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- March (-$2,076.94)
- 759.63 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,836.57 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- April (-$1,581.86)
- $1,127.1 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,708.96 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- May (-$367.55)
- $2,341.41 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,610.62 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- June (+1,622.01)
- $3,114.90 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $1,492.89 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- July (-1,013.61)
- $1,540 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,553.61 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- Aug ($-12.10 – SO CLOSE!)
- $2,383.41 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,395.51 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- $2,288.71 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $1,949.57 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- $2,064.62 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- $2,380.57 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- $1,200.21 for (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden)
- tbd for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
Me vs. Pat Case Study Site
My Overall Online Income Goal Progress
As discussed in my long post about my online income history and my overall business strategy post here my goal is to be making $15k/month reliably by my 35th birthday and move my family back to our hometown to raise our kids(currently only one kid) there (if we choose to).
I am going to add a section to my monthly reports showing my overall online income and progress towards $15k/month.
This month even with the drop in my one niche site my service and other projects picked up the slack and I had a record month!
- Actual = $11,069 net income
- Planned = $3,750 net income
Obviously an awesome milestone – my first month above $10k in net income. However a portion of this is initialsign ups for my monthly service and the month of December will be all about building out those sites so my expenses will be high with no additional income from that stream.
So I do expect next month’s numbers to be lower…this is the drawback to monthly tracking instead of quarterly