Month 6 Update – Baby Boy – $1000 Per Month – 90hr Work Weeks
My wife gave birth at the start of March to a healthy baby boy and I couldn’t be more excited. As I write this update I am at the hospital with a 36hr old baby on my lap sleeping away.
Providing financial freedom and security beyond any career can provide is one of my strongest motivators for the online business I run.
The most significant impact on my business and case study website this month was the turn my “day job” took with unscheduled maintenance at the plant i am at which requires me to work 90hr weeks for 7weeks.
Since I had very little time to work on my online business I did not get the opportunity to kick of many new initiatives on (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden) or here at websiteincome.com.
1. Monetization – after months of measuring and testing I have seen a huge increase in value per visitor and my first month making over $1,000!!
2. Outsourcing – at the start of February I implemented an editorial calendar, a VA to manage it, hired a part time social media / outreach worker and blog roll submissions. Even when I didn’t touch my personal computer for a week things kept moving at 3-4 posts per week.
1.Twitter for traffic purposes – I have hired an experienced assistant to help me with my outreach activities. It has worked great for outreach and traffic through value added blog comments but even though she has been doing a lot of great work I have only received a handful of visits from twitter. The connections she is making for me is worth it though especially when I am unable to due to time.
2. My ability to grow the website when I am not actively involved was not good – I have set up great systems t be able to maintain the business and execute the strategies already developed but when I get pulled away for my day job or life
Authority Website Stats for February
Total Income = $1,126.55
My best month yet for monetization, I am very happy to see the main affiliate offer finally starting to pay off well!
CPA Offer #1 = $234 (-$33)
This offer continues to perform strongly and I will continue promoting it.
CPA Offer #2 =892.55 (+707.42)
I have been patient with this offer and this month it is finally paying off. By setting up tracking and split testing my ads I have been able to measure and increase my click-through rate and ultimately the income I have earned.
To learn about how to track outbound clicks and improve conversions Click Here
Costs = 169.23
Again the majority of my costs associated with my website is content creation using my method I talk about here.
I expanded my team at the start of the month based on some new initiatives, mainly around social media. By bringing in a social media manager and having her handle my Twitter account and blogging outreach it allowed me to continue building my online presence even when I had no time to devote to it.
- VA – Social Media Manager @ ODesk = 3hrs/week = $48
- VA – Content Publisher @ ODesk = 5hrs/week = $33.33
- VA – General/Research @ ODesk = as required = $13.44
- VA – Backlink Creation @ ODesk = 5hrs/week = $22.86
- Content Creation @ ODesk = 10 articles = $44.44
- Hosting = $7.16 @ HostGator
Running Net Income/Loss
The website has now made over $1200 cumulative profit with most of that coming in February!
Traffic =4,373 Unique Visitors
Somewhat as expected there was a drop in traffic in February due to no longer ranking for some high level irrelevant keywords such as “teacher”.
Traffic continued to be strong but I was unable to see a real increase even with the effort that was being put into twitter and other strategies.
Here are the traffic stats for February…
Email Opt Ins – Still a failure!
Total sign up = 11! (3 in the month of February)
Content, Promotion and Backlinks
In this section I will show exactly what I have done over the last month to get to 300 visitors a day.
On Page Content = 22 Posts (11 more than last month)
By establishing an editorial calander and empowering a VA to become my content manager making sure my content machine is providing him with enough content takes a lot of administrative responsibility off of my plate.
- Monday – Product Review
- Tuesday – Blog Style Post (list etc)
- Wed – Occasional Epic Post (100+ lists)
- Thursday – SEO Post – Targetting a low competition keyword
- Friday – Roundup/News Post
Outreach – Blog Commenting & Social Media – 3-8hrs per week
I hired a social media manager to take over this part of my business. It was becoming too time consuming and I wanted to try to see how it would work if I outsourced it.
So far she has been doing great work but the results are not as quantifiable as I would like!
I plan to stick with this approach for at least 3 more months to see if I can measure an impact with it.
Guest Posts = 2 Posts on Quality Sites
Guest posting continues to be where I personally spend the majority of my effort by reaching out to the blog owners and writing the articles myself.
- GP 1 – Feb 1 – PR 4 – Alexa 808k
- GP 2 – Feb 12 – PR 3 – Alexa 45.8k
- GP 3 – Feb 21 – PR 3 – Alexa 1,329k
- GP 4 – Feb 26 – PR 3 – Alexa 1,355k
All of these guest posts were achieved using the method I talk about here.
The number of guest posts were down but the quality from a PR perspective was up while the average Alexa ranking was lower.
- Average PR and Alexa Rank for November guest posts = PR 2.2 & Alexa 577k
- Average PR and Alexa Rank for December guest posts = PR 2.2 & Alexa 592k
- Average PR and Alexa Rank for January guest posts = PR 2.83 & Alexa 876k
- Average PR and Alexa Rank for February guest posts = PR 3.25 & Alexa 884.5k
I use majestic SEO (free) to track my link profile and help estimate how my link building efforts are being viewed by Google.
- Referring Domains = 133 (+57)
- Backlinks = 4,919 (+3676)
- Citation Flow 36 (+5)
- Trust Flow 21 (+1)
I was happy to see my trust flow stay above 20 even though many of the backlinks that were created over the month were due to blog commenting and social media efforts which are lower quality.
Last Month’s Goals
- Continue Guest Posting – (guest post on 5 high-quality sites) – Failed only 4
- Continue Content Creation at 10 posts/month – Achieved (10 created 22 published)
- Develop Editorial Calendar – Achieved
- Outsource 2 Activities – Carnival Submission & Blog Commenting – Achieved
- Monetize –Earn over $500 – Achieved (over $1k!)
Next Month’s Goals
Because of the new baby in my life and the 90hr weeks I am expected to work at my day job I will struggle to execute new strategies so for March I am only looking to maintain – earn passive income!
- Continue Guest Posting – (guest post on 0 high quality sites)
- Continue Content Creation at 10 posts/month
- Publish Posts per Editorial Calendar – 16 posts
- Continue Blog Commenting and Social Media Manager & monitor progress – 200 visitors
- Monetize – Earn over $1000 on almost complete Autopilot!
2013 Website Goal
My website case study (My Case Study Website URL is Now Hidden) will earn more per month than Pat Flynn’s case study site SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com for at least 3 months of the year
• So far in 2013 I am 0 for 1
• I will update this when Pat’s income report comes out for February