Where to Sell Your Website for the Most Money? Sell for The Highest Price and Pay the Lowest Commission
In this article, I am going to look at where you can sell your content website and end up with the most money in your bank account!
Here is a great article listing 17 website brokers.
When choosing where you are going to sell your site there are a lot of things to consider but often it comes down to where you believe you are going to end up with the most money.
5 Considerations Other than Money:
- Success Rates – What is the chance that your website will sell? Some brokerages share their success rate. For example Empire Flippers 74% and MotionInvest 96.43% all other things considered it is better to go with a broker that has a better chance of selling your site based on their success rate of selling other similar sites.
- Effort Required – Some places where you can sell your site like Flippa are very labour intensive requiring you to do all the work to list your site and communicate with potential buyers. Many other brokers offer a managed solution where the listing, escrow and transfer is handled by the broker.
- Expertise with Your Business Model – Some brokers specialize in SAAS, some in ECommerce while others in Content Sites. Choosing a broker that specializes in your type of business increases the chances they have buyers on their list and the expertise to help ensure a smooth transfer. It is an added bonus when the broker is an experienced operator in your type of business.
- Length of Exclusivity – Some brokers will require a 90-day exclusivity which can be very frustrating if your business is not looking like it is going to sell. I recommend working with brokers who are confident they can sell your business and demonstrate that confidence with only a 30-day exclusivity agreement.
- Willing to Sell Your Sized Business – Depending on the size of your site some brokers will not be interested. For example, Quiet Light Brokerage has had an average deal size of $500k and will only work with businesses of a certain size. Picking a broker that will work with a business of your size is a requirement.
But in the end the most important consideration for most people is where can you sell your website and keep the most money!
When it comes to where you can sell your site and keep the most money the 2 things you need to consider are…
- Sell for the Highest Price
- Have the lowest commission Structure
Let’s now dig into both of these considerations below…
Sell for the Highest Price:
So where can you go to sell for the highest price?
Like many other brokers (real estate etc) there is a strong bias for website brokers to say whatever they need to in order to get the listing. They might promise an unrealistically high price only to negotiate it down and you can feel powerless if there is a long exclusivity period where you have no other option for up to 6 months.
My favorite method to get the HIGHEST possible price is to use a broker that uses a modified Dutch Auction with a very large audience and success rate! This is exactly the structure that MotionInvest uses listing your business at a premium multiple initially so that if there is a strategic buyer that does not want to miss out on a perfectly aligned business they are willing to pay a high premium multiple. However it achieves the 96%+ success rate by dropping the price at set intervals to ensure the site will sell for as much as possible. This creates the ideal scenario for a seller with a high selling price and a high success rate.
For example, at MotionInvest if a Content Site is likely to sell for 36x monthly profit it will be listed at a higher multiple say ~45x and at set intervals the price will decline until a buyer purchases it. This ensures that if there is a strategic buyer willing to pay a premium price that value is captured by you the seller.
This is fairly straightforward… the more money you get to keep the better for your bank account!
There is a surprising amount of work required to run a successful website brokerage and sell quality sites. This includes building an audience of buyers, completing in-depth due diligence, and supporting buyers/sellers with completing transactions.
The range for success fees go from a high of 20% to a low of 5%.
The table below shows the commission structure for several online brokers. The cells highlighted in Green show the best value for a managed broker based on listing fees. It is important to remember this is just one consideration and the listing price is the other part of the equation.
Conclusion – Where to Sell to Make the Most Money?
Based on the info above if you are looking to sell your website for the most money look for a website broker that has…
- High published success rates
- Requires minimal effort
- Has expertise selling your type of business
- A short exclusivity period
- Will sell your sized business
And most importantly…
- Will sell your business for the highest price and take the lowest commission on that sale
If your goal is to have as high a probability as possible of putting as much money in your bank account from selling your content website then MotionInvest.com is the best option with their Modified Dutch Auction and favorable Commission Structure.